When I decided to start making my own syrups, one of the first flavors that came to mind was chocolate, because, well– duh! It’s chocolate. Mmmmm. Normally I put a little cocoa powder and brown sugar in my coffee, so I thought chocolate syrup would be an obvious alternative.
I have to admit, I didn’t get too excited when I put this in my drink the other morning. If I had the capabilities to brew espresso at home, it would’ve been an outrageously good d.i.y. mocha– but since I just have my French press, the combination doesn’t really do it for me.
However, I did get excited when I put it in some warm milk for the most delicious cup of hot cocoa I’ve ever had. Perhaps a little too excited– the hubs can vouch for all my “OMGs” while I was taste-testing it in the kitchen.
The original recipe was pulled from An Oregon Cottage with the only change being that I added more salt. Who knew chocolate and salt were such a match made in Heaven? Like Jami suggested in her original post, it really gives depth to the sauce and adds more complexity to the taste than just sugar and chocolate.
And since I’ve been on the subject all week of copycatting Starbucks recipes I should note that the more salt you add, the closer it comes in resemblance to the Salted Signature Hot Chocolate; all that’s missing is your caramel/hazelnut flavoring.
Salted Chocolate Syrup:
3/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup Unrefined sugar
1 cup Boiling water
1/2 tsp Coarse salt
1 tsp Vanilla
1. In a saucepan, add sugar and cocoa powder and whisk until combined. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over mixture and whisk until a smooth paste is formed.
2. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of water, stir, and bring the syrup to a small boil for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer, add salt (either the full 1/2 tsp, or to taste).
4. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool completely (about an hour), stirring now and then, before transferring to a glass container.
5. Refrigerate when not in use.
So, I won’t be putting this in my morning coffee, but I will be drizzling it over everything in sight. This chocolate syrup is unbelievably addictive; consider yourself warned!